A default tax table has been created for you, conveniently named "default-tax-table". Let's start adding rules to this tax table by clicking on "Manage Rules".
To create a new tax rule, click the "New Rule" button or clicking Edit will change an existing rule.
- World: Checking this box applies the tax rule to every customer.
Selecting a Country, State or Zip below will override this check box.
- Country: Select the country for the tax rule to effect.
Providing a Country will override the World checkbox. Only select a country if you want your tax to apply only to citizens of a certain country.
- State: Select a state for the tax rate to effect. If this field is blank, it defaults to the entire Country specified above.
Providing a State will make your rule even more specific, so that it would only apply to citizens in this State. If you want the rule to apply to an entire Country, leave State and Zip blank.
- Zip: Select a zip code for the tax rule to effect. If this field is blank, it defaults to the entire State and/or Country specified above. Multiple Zip Codes can be entered - just separate them with commas.
Providing a Zip will make the rule even more specific, so that the rule would apply only to citizens in the zip codes you enter. If you want a tax rate to apply to an entire state, leave the Zip Code blank.
- Rate: The tax rate this rule will charge. Tax rates are expressed as decimals, so a 6.5% tax rate would be
represented as ".065".
- Tax Shipping: If this box is checked, the cost of shipping is included in the taxable amount
To create a new tax table, click the "New Tax Table" button. A window will pop up. You need to fill out a name and hit the create button.